Friday, July 6, 2012

Buckingham and Big Ben

I can't imagine what it would be like to be the Queen of England and to have my home on display two months of every year. Granted, we weren't taken to the part where she actually lived (obviously), but still, most of the palace is in use most of the year, unlike alot of the other places we visited. Buckingham Palace is huge. There's an overall "white and gold" theme to the place, which certainly looks impressive. The place has something like 170 rooms, with an additional 78 bathrooms. We were taken through the state apartments where business is usually conducted. Highlights: -Green, Blue, and White themed drrawing rooms. -Balconies that overlook the extensive (and beautiful) gardens. -A music room! Andrew Lloyd Webber composed the Queen's song for her Diamond Jubilee, which made me laugh because I was just thinking about Phantom of the Opera yesterday. -There are two painting galleries and one marble statue gallery. IIt reminded me of Pemberley, actually. -I saw lots and lots and lots of diamonds. -The queen enters the white drawing room through this hidden passage behind a mirror. It was cracked open just slightly so we could see into it! I know I've joked about secret tunnels a lot, but that's exactly what it was. :) Once we got out of the tour, we had some time (read: 3 hours) before class was due to start so we decided to make our stay in London official and head over to Big Ben. We were already technically in Westminster, so it was a simple matter of hopping on the tube fore a two-stop ride. Big Ben is attached to the Parliament House, so we fllowed the signs to the subway exit that would lead us there. I think my brain was still stuck on "Wesminster" because the abbey was what I thought I was seeing when we came up the stairs. Once I remembered that we were supposed to be looking at the Houses of Parliament, I pivoted slowly, following the top of the building until I realized: we were standing right at the foot of Big Ben. It was one of those moments that I wish I could somehow capture and save. I knew Big Ben was the goal but I'd forgotten in my excitement, so realizing that we'd walked up the subway stairs with Big Ben literally right behind us was electrifying! I took a lot of pictures. After that we hunted down Westminster Abbey (not too hard--it's right next door, actuaally) and took some more pictures. We didn't go in today, but I am required to visit it for one of my classes, so I'll be back. My classes are kind of stressing me out, but I think it's going to be fine. One of my professors is very organized and easily understood. The other is a little scatterbrained and harder to decipher. I love them both for very different reasons, but I think I will have an easier time in the class that's organized. That sums up my day! Hope the drive went well, family!

No comments:

Post a Comment